Monday, September 6, 2010

Ministry Update

Many of you already know that Kathryn and I have shifted the focus of our ministries away from RCC. We want to fill you in on what it is that we will be doing for the last nine months while we are in Thailand. God has prepared a lot of new and exciting things for us to do. Kathryn will share her ministries and I will share mine.

Andy’s Ministry Opportunities:
Now that I have settled back into life in Bangkok and handed over the RCC duties to Thai brethren, I have been given opportunities to finish a few things that God had started for me. The first area is in working with the Sommagorn church. This was the first church plant that came from Watcharapon almost 4 years ago. They are a small group and fairly young for this culture. Both Kathryn and I have been working with them off and on since their conception. We have just made a plan with them for a regularly scheduled studying time with them. We will be with them 2 Sundays a month for until we leave for America. I have broken up the time into 3 studies: finish the leadership study we started, a marriage/relationship study, and spiritual disciplines. Along with the times of study, we will be participating in community outreach together and bonding together in fellowship. This is very excited to me because they are full of energy and love for God and are ready to learn and serve.

The second area that I will be involved in is church planting. Since, I will not be here for much longer, I am challenged to prepare others for the task of church planting. To accomplish this, I will be organizing and teaching a class 2 times a week. This class will be focused on our graduated and non-graduated BSLI students. These students have been diligently studying the bible for 2 or more years. Now they are ready to apply what they have learned. I will be working with them to empower them to go out and be the church where ever they may be. One opportunity for them is opening up on the west-central part of Bangkok. A member of Watcharpon, who just lost her son to brain cancer, is opening up her home to be used to host a house church. Some of Watcharapon’s members go there 1 or 2 times a month and worship together. One thing I’ll be working on is sending a group of these students there to minister and look for outreach opportunities.

Kathryn’s Ministry Opportunities:
The first area in which I will be serving is in the Inreach Ministry which consists of two parts: Women’s Ministry and Discipleship. I will be teaching Women’s class at three different congregations in Bangkok. Some of the different things that I will be teaching about are Mothers in the Bible, Loving Like God, Marriage/Relationship, Discipleship and etc…I will be spending two Sundays every month with the women at the Sommagorn helping them to grow their faith and their walk with God. The second piece of Inreach Ministry will be focused on teaching and modeling Discipleship. God has given me a great opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with each of them several times a week. Both of these opportunities are such a blessing because it will allow me to spend time with Christians to help them grow in their faith before we return to America.

The second area in which I will be serving is in the Outreach Ministry which consists of an English Program and Service Projects. Many of my former students have requested that I continue to teach them English, so I will be teaching them on Friday Night (aka Friday Night Fellowship) and on Sunday evenings. I have scheduled it on Friday and Sunday so that it will augment the English Program at Ram Christian Center. Last Friday was our first Friday Night Fellowship and we had six students. (It was a great time! Please pray that these students will decide to become a follower of Christ.) The second part of the Outreach Ministry, will a monthly Service Project in which we will be going to Orphanages, Children’s Homes for Children with Disabilities, Local Schools and Helping Hand Project. This one of those passions of mine because after the last two years of studying the Gospel books, I feel very strong that Jesus was a part of helping communities to heal.

Andy and I are very excited about these new opportunities that God has placed in our lives. Thank you once again for your support and prayers.

In Him,
Andy and Kathryn

1 comment:

Zane said...

Thanks for the update A&K. It's good to know that you're set up well for the next several months. God prepared things well for you, didn't he? I'm glad you'll be back in the US of A, but sad that things didn't work out the way they looked like they would a couple of years ago. A lot has changed, eh? Funny how our roads have bends and hills that we can't see around or over. Just when you think you're coasting along a nice, long straight path the scenery changes. You guys are brave. Thanks for your sacrifice and hard work. You're living a great story!

PS - on that disciplines thing Andy will be teaching. Confession isn't one of them, right?